Scope of validity
JAPAN RAIL PASS Scope of validity
Travel throughout Japan by train!
JAPAN RAIL PASS will allow you to use the following JR lines, as well as other railway lines, buses, and ferries.
All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen"bullet trains"(「except any reserved or non-reserved seat on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains) limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains, and the BRT. (With some exceptions)
- JAPAN RAIL PASS holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail.
- Aoimori Railway services between Aomori and Hachinohe (but only for travel on local or rapid service trains encompassing the segments between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, and Hachinohe and Noheji. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any other station on the Aoimori Railway line other than Aomori, Noheji, and Hachinohe.)
- The IR Ishikawa Railway Line between Kanazawa and Tsubata. However, travel must be conducted on local or limited express trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the IR Ishikawa Railway line, within or outside the segment (excluding Kanazawa or Tsubata).
- The Ainokaze Toyama Railway Line between Toyama and Takaoka. However, travel must be conducted on local trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway line, within or outside the segment (excluding Toyama or Takaoka).
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen lines.
Please use "HIKARI," "SAKURA," "KODAMA" and "TSUBAME" trains. Only when an [ONLY WITH JAPAN RAIL PASS] NOZOMI MIZUHO Ticket is purchased separately before boarding the train and used together with a valid JAPAN RAIL PASS, a "NOZOMI" or "MIZUHO" train can be used for the section and facility indicated on the purchased ticket.
Also, when using a Gran Class car on the Tokaido, Hokkaido, Joetsu or Hokuriku Shinkansen Lines, the limited express fee and Gran Class fee must be additionally paid.
When using a private railway, the fare and fee for the section used must be paid. (JR trains sometimes directly connect and provide service on private railways.)
Depending on the train and section, tickets may not be available even when there are open seats due to limits on the number of reserved seats or for other reasons.
・Major JR Trains Running Through Non-JR Lines and the Sections Concerned
- Extra fares or fees will be required when using non-JR railway sections.
|Section requiring separate fares - charges
|Private railway company involved
|Niigata - Joetsumyoukou/Arai
|Naoetsu - Joetsumyoko/Arai
|Echigo TOKImeki Railway
|Shinjuku - Tobu Nikko
|Kurihashi - Tobu Nikko
|Kinugawa, Spacia Kinugawa
|Shinjuku - Kinugawa Onsen
|Kurihashi - Kinugawa Onsen
|Odoriko, Saphir Odoriko
|Shinjuku/Tokyo - Izukyu-Shimoda
|Ito - Izukyu-Shimoda
|Tokyo - Shuzenji
|Mishima - Shuzenji
|Shinjuku - Kawaguchiko
|Ōtsuki - Kawaguchiko
|Gotemba - (Odakyu) Shinjuku
|Matsuda - (Odakyu) Shinjuku
|Odakyu Electric Railway
|Nagoya - Shingu
|Kawarada - Tsu
|Ise Tetsudo Railway
|Nagoya - Toba
|Hashidate, Tango Relay
|Kyoto - Amanohashidate/Toyooka
|Fukuchiyama - Toyooka
|Kyoto Tango Railway
|Shin-Osaka - Amanohashidate
|Kyoto - Tottori/Kurayoshi
|Kamigori - Chizu
|Okayama - Tottori
|Takamatsu/Kochi - Nakamura/Sukumo
|Kubokawa - Nakamura/Sukumo
|Tosa Kuroshio Railway
Local lines of JR Bus (excluding some local lines. Pass validity for particular routes is subject to change.)
(JR Bus : JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus)
The PASS is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR Bus.
Only the JR-WEST Miyajima ferry is covered.
JR Kyushu Jet Ferry between Hakata and Busan (Korea) is not covered.
You will be required to additionally pay a Miyajima Visitor Tax (100 yen) upon your visit.